Monday 19 July 2010

Neutral and natural.. or beige and boring?

We spent several hours at a local carpet showroom today, looking at carpets and vinyls until our eyes boggled. I have to say that the majority of good value, affordable carpets are boring! Everything is shades of cream and brown, and they are nearly all self-coloured. I agree that the hideous swirls of the 1970's were over the top, but the pendulum has swung towards bland uniformity. (Andy wouldn't agree to a nice stripey carpet I did manage to find. It was blue, cream, yellow and brown and would have looked good in our bedroom. Probably!)
The chap who had been to measure the whole house kept saying how large all of the rooms are, which is less of an advantage when you are looking hopefully at the offcuts sale bargains. (I wonder which of us was doing that?) Also less of an advantage when you come to the overall bill, which is *!£<>*!£.
I did manage to impose my will in the living room and we are having a red carpet (not bargain bin- not value rolls- why are you not surprised!). The rest is Beigeville!
I am sure it will look fine. I will just have to add some tasteful but BRIGHT accessories!

No comments:

Post a Comment